12.08.10

Manual Therapy First For Back Pain!

Posted in Guidelines for Treatment at 9:17 PM by Dr. Greathouse

Manual Therapy First
These are recommended guidelines for treating back pain. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) on best practice to improve the early management of persistent, non-specific back pain.

The guidelines recommend exercise, manual therapy or acupuncture as first-line treatments for those with back pain that has lasted more than six weeks. There is then a more comprehensive package of psychological and physical treatments for those who have not recovered after receiving these treatments.

The use of X-rays or injections in diagnosing non-specific back pain is not recommended in the new guidelines. In the vast majority of back pain cases, X-rays and MRI scans do not provide any useful information on where the pain comes from or how it may be treated.

The relevant piece– first refer to quality hands on conservative care before thinking of injection docs or ortho docs.

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) provides guidance, sets quality standards and manages a national database to improve people’s health and prevent and treat ill health.  Link To NICE Website: http://www.nice.org.uk/aboutnice/ Interesting to note, manual therapy was recommended first over more orthodox forms of medical intervention for back pain. You might be wondering what “non-specific back pain” is, well,
basically it’s 85% of all back pain. The other 15% involves a spinal disease, fracture or nerve root compression.

Also note that diagnostic studies don’t really provide useful information in most cases. As a matter of fact, they typically create
more intervention and a bleaker outlook. All of which cost more money and rarely results in better outcome. The more comprehensive package discussed above is referring to chronic back problems. We offer the therapeutic exercises as well.
Please forward this info to those in need.

Dr. Greathouse’s Website: http://greathousechiropractic.com/
Phone: 321 725-6314
Medical Disclaimer
Information on this site/email is provided for informational purposes
and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own
physician or other medical professional. You should not use the
information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health
problem or disease, or prescribing any medication. If you have or
suspect that you have a medical problem, promptly contact your medical
health care provider.

Leave a Comment